Two Pie Crusts fresh or frozen
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups of heavy cream
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ cup fresh green onions
1 cup grated cheddar cheese or crumbled goat cheese
1 ¼ cup grilled vegetables:
Mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, red pepper, asparagus, red onion, shredded zucchini
Fresh Chives or Dried Chives
If recipe is being prepared for serving the next day, do not combine crusts and mix until just before baking. Stop at this point, cover and refrigerate crusts and mix separately being careful to leave tin foil on crust rims, and to protect crusts from crumbling.
- Defrost pie crusts for 15 minutes. Prick crusts with a fork on all sides.
- Bake pie crusts at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Cover crust rims with tin foil to prevent burning. Remove when crust is deep golden brown, and cool to room temperature. Leave tin foil on.
- Dice vegetables and toss with oil. Grill in the oven until just before done. Remove and cool to room temperature.
- Beat eggs and cream. Stir in salt, pepper, nutmeg and green onions.
- Mix in grated cheeses, vegetables, and 2 Tbs. chives.
- Divide mix into two crusts, keeping tin foil on the rims the entire time. Fill to the very edge of the rim. One half egg and 3 Tbs of cream (beaten together) may be added if more mix is needed. Filling the crust all the way will prevent the rims from crumbling off after baking.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until center is golden brown. Prick with a fork or toothpick and check to see that it comes out clean.
- Stand and let cool for 10 minutes. Gently remove tin foil.
- Slice carefully by making a cut from top to bottom and one from left to right (Cut a “t”). Then make two diagonal cuts in opposite directions to produce evenly sliced pieces (Cut an “x”). Take care to cut smoothly and all the way to the bottom of the crust.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of chives and a thinly sliced tomato.